Tuesday, August 4, 2009

[Titanaircraft] Re: If you started new

--- In Titanaircraft@yahoogroups.com, "newtoultralights" <stephen_kuczynski@...> wrote:
>
> Thanks for the reply and advice. Do you have a constant speed propeller and how is the noise level in the cockpit?
>

No, I run a powerfin F model (70" 3 blade) on mine which is only ground adjustable pitch. There are ways to fit CS props to the 912 series tho they're generally hideously expensive ;).

Div, our SS flyer in south africa has a CS prop on his SS/912uls tho.

With props like the warp drive taper tip, you can get pretty close to CS performance even with fixed pitch (I have a prop harmonic problem on my particular plane with the warp drive tho, so I run a powerfin instead).

The noise level is er, how shall I put this... not just loud but really really loud.... The 912 plus a 3 blade prop in pusher configuration just makes a lot of racket and there's not too much you can do about it. The jab installations are probably quieter due to the lower rpm and 2 blade props.

So a good ANR headset is pretty much mandatory if you want to be comfortable.

LS

>
> --- In Titanaircraft@yahoogroups.com, "lucien stavenhagen" <lstavenhagen@> wrote:
> >
> > --- In Titanaircraft@yahoogroups.com, "newtoultralights" <stephen_kuczynski@> wrote:
> > >
> > > Hello, I am new to ultralights but experienced in 4 seat certified aircraft. I am looking to do gain new flying experiences and I have been intrigued by the Tital line, particlularly the tornado S. I like to fly local, slow with great visibility. For those experienced ultralighters, what advice would you have if you were starting over. I am thinking about doing the quickbuild route with a rotax 912S and a BRS. What advice would you have?
> > >
> >
> > I'm an old ultralighter as well, tho I also got my start in general aviation. After I got my private, I accumulated a bunch of time in a quicksilver, a trike and most recently a Kolb FS II.
> > I now own/fly a II SS (the super pretty one on the titan website with the wild red/yellowish paintjob originally built by the Master of all things titan JD Stewart).
> >
> > The S and SS with the 912 have a performance envelope somewhere in the neighborhood of the C150/152, tho climb rate is significantly better especially if you go with the 26' wing (mine does close to 2000fpm solo at sea level). It's also a bit faster on the controls.
> >
> > So it's kind of midway between an ultralight/fat ultralight and the typical GA spam can in terms of how it flies.
> >
> > Because it's a high-engine pusher with the wing sort of set back a bit, the view from the front seat is much better than any tractor design (tho not as good as from an ultralight like a trike or quicksilver).
> >
> > You can fly low and slow by putting out a bit of flaps and throttling back. Especially with the 26' wing, I can put along comfortably at 65 to 60mph indicated with a little flaps out, but I can also go 100mph by adding a little pitch to the prop.
> >
> > It is different enough from UL and general aviation flying to require tornado-specific transition training, and it gives you a kind of a mix of both experiences.
> >
> > The S with a 912 is just about the ideal choice and I'd recommend the 26' wing if you intend to do a fair bit of slow flying and kicking around the patch, etc. If you are going to fly dual a significant portion of the time, I'd recommend the SS which is a lot roomier especially in the back seat.
> >
> > LS
> >
>


------------------------------------

Yahoo! Groups Links

<*> To visit your group on the web, go to:
http://groups.yahoo.com/group/Titanaircraft/

<*> Your email settings:
Individual Email | Traditional

<*> To change settings online go to:
http://groups.yahoo.com/group/Titanaircraft/join
(Yahoo! ID required)

<*> To change settings via email:
mailto:Titanaircraft-digest@yahoogroups.com
mailto:Titanaircraft-fullfeatured@yahoogroups.com

<*> To unsubscribe from this group, send an email to:
Titanaircraft-unsubscribe@yahoogroups.com

<*> Your use of Yahoo! Groups is subject to:
http://docs.yahoo.com/info/terms/

No comments:

Post a Comment