Friday, August 28, 2009

RE: [Titanaircraft] Re: auxiliary gas tank

I made an aux tank out of a commercial 5 gallon lawn mower fuel tank.  I bungeed it to the top of the main tank behind the seat of my S-14.  Fuel was transferred to the main tank by gravity through a Tee in the main vent line.  I ran the fuel line forward to where I could turn it off and on with a ball valve on the right side of the cockpit. The fuel cap was already vented and I never had a fuel odor problem unless the aux tank had gas in it and sat for awhile on a hot day. Otherwise, there was plenty of ventilation in flight. It worked very well but baggage space suffered some.
 
Tim Hansen

--- On Thu, 8/27/09, Randy Sill <randy@randysill.com> wrote:


From: Randy Sill <randy@randysill.com>
Subject: RE: [Titanaircraft] Re: auxiliary gas tank
To: Titanaircraft@yahoogroups.com
Date: Thursday, August 27, 2009, 1:09 PM


 

I never tried the aux tank idea myself, but have heard stories of others
that had. Most are just as described with a fuel pump to transfer to the
main. When I built my first, I decided 15 gallons wasn't enough for the
kind of flying I wanted to do, so fabricated wing tanks giving me near 25
gallons. I've since installed drop tanks on 2 Tornados, which works fairly
well...until it's time to fill them back up, then they are a challenge.

Randy

-----Original Message-----
From: Titanaircraft@ yahoogroups. com [mailto:Titanaircraft@ yahoogroups. com]
On Behalf Of hollygreengrass
Sent: Thursday, August 27, 2009 11:55 AM
To: Titanaircraft@ yahoogroups. com
Subject: [Titanaircraft] Re: auxiliary gas tank

Thanks for the response Vivian. Sounds like he kept the rear seat in place
instead of removing it. That would be simpler, but I kind of like the idea
of removing seat to see if I can then use the top of the tank to still store
some stuff back there.

Come on gang, only one response to my questions for some photos or ideas on
auxiliary gas tank?! Please give me some love with a photo or two and some
thoughts on the process.
claudia

------------ --------- --------- ------

Yahoo! Groups Links

[Non-text portions of this message have been removed]

------------------------------------

Yahoo! Groups Links

<*> To visit your group on the web, go to:
http://groups.yahoo.com/group/Titanaircraft/

<*> Your email settings:
Individual Email | Traditional

<*> To change settings online go to:
http://groups.yahoo.com/group/Titanaircraft/join
(Yahoo! ID required)

<*> To change settings via email:
mailto:Titanaircraft-digest@yahoogroups.com
mailto:Titanaircraft-fullfeatured@yahoogroups.com

<*> To unsubscribe from this group, send an email to:
Titanaircraft-unsubscribe@yahoogroups.com

<*> Your use of Yahoo! Groups is subject to:
http://docs.yahoo.com/info/terms/

No comments:

Post a Comment