Monday, August 10, 2009

Re: [Titanaircraft] Titan Purchase

Hi Jim,

I don't disagree with anything you've said.

However, I think that the kind of close-to-full-stall short-field
landing you're describing is something a pilot should try after a
fair amount of experience in the Tornado, and not as the first thing.

There's always more than one way to do something, and a full-stall
landing is certainly possible. But I believe that it's a dangerous
thing to do right away, because in my experience, that stall has to
happen just as you touch down, and there is very little room for
error, either in height above the runway or in airspeed.

In my very best short-field landing, I approached at 50 mph, "rounded
out" and two seconds later the wheels dropped the last 4 inches to
the ground. From the start of the round-out until touchdown seemed
like about 6 seconds.

With full flaps, the Tornado bleeds off airspeed quickly, and if you
lose just a tad too much speed, you'll be several feet above the
ground at the stall, and you'll break a gear leg.

My broken (actually cracked) fiberglass leg still held up the plane
after I landed, although one wingtip was about 5" lower than the
other.

Hugh Sontag

>I disagree on the full stall. If you want to land short (as the Tornado
>is fully capable of doing) you can do the (almost) full stall approach.
>You won't break a leg as long as you're close to the ground - much
>closer than a 172.
>
>I say (almost) because the rear tail wheel normally hits before you can
>get the main wing to stall. As soon as it hits, your angle of attack
>lessens, you loose lift, and you come down. If you're high enough to not
>hit the tailwheel in a full stall landing, you're probably too high. It
>will feel very different than a short-field/full-stall landing in a 172.
>If you don't tap the tailwheel when you're trying to land short, you
>could have landed shorter.
>
>I have broken a gear leg, but I think I was probably about 6 ft up at
>the time of the stall. It's worth noting that I did land as short as I
>wanted (of course, after a full stall!) and was able to taxi to parking
>over a rough field on the broken leg. In an emergency, I could have
>taken off on the broken leg as well. That's why I like the fiberglass
>legs over the titanium.
>
>I do agree with the 2 hours (min) of transition time, however.
>
>Hugh Sontag wrote:
>>
>>
>>
>>
>> Also, the "flare" is a bit different. If you bring a Tornado in the
>> way a 172 is often landed, ending in a very nose-high attitude at
>> "full stall", you'll almost certainly break the gear in the ensuing
>> stall.
>>
>> The way to land a Tornado is to carry enough airspeed in the approach
>> to "round out" above stall speed (at around 50 mph), flying parallel
>> to the ground, and then keep the wheels a few inches above the runway
>> until the plane slows and settles to the ground.
>>
>
>> I recommend at least an hour or two of time in a two-place Tornado
>> before flying one solo.
>>
>> Hugh Sontag
>>
>> >I too am interested in buying a Titan. What is the difference in
>> >the handling characteristics of a Titan 1 and the 2? And, if I get
>> >some training in a 2 place would it be difficult to transition to
>> >the single? Thanks for any info you can give me. I have about 120
>> >hrs. in 172's, Cherokees, and a few hrs. in a Socata TB9.
>> >Don Price
>> >
>> >[Non-text portions of this message have been removed]
>> >
>> >
>> >
>>
>>
>
>[Non-text portions of this message have been removed]
>
>
>

------------------------------------

Yahoo! Groups Links

<*> To visit your group on the web, go to:
http://groups.yahoo.com/group/Titanaircraft/

<*> Your email settings:
Individual Email | Traditional

<*> To change settings online go to:
http://groups.yahoo.com/group/Titanaircraft/join
(Yahoo! ID required)

<*> To change settings via email:
mailto:Titanaircraft-digest@yahoogroups.com
mailto:Titanaircraft-fullfeatured@yahoogroups.com

<*> To unsubscribe from this group, send an email to:
Titanaircraft-unsubscribe@yahoogroups.com

<*> Your use of Yahoo! Groups is subject to:
http://docs.yahoo.com/info/terms/

No comments:

Post a Comment