Thursday, August 6, 2009

Re: [Titanaircraft] Re: If you started new

Another difference between tractor and pusher configuration airplanes is that the pushers, most of them anyway, don't get light on the wheels during takeoff roll... you sort of "unstick" them and away you go!  Higher thrust line holds everything right on the ground but with all that rudder authority as soon as power is applied, it tracks like it's on rails. Kinda like being shot out of a cannon with the accelleration I get with my Jab.
 
Tim Hansen

--- On Thu, 8/6/09, lucien stavenhagen <lstavenhagen@hotmail.com> wrote:


From: lucien stavenhagen <lstavenhagen@hotmail.com>
Subject: [Titanaircraft] Re: If you started new
To: Titanaircraft@yahoogroups.com
Date: Thursday, August 6, 2009, 9:08 AM


 

--- In Titanaircraft@ yahoogroups. com, Tim Hansen <togoforth@. ..> wrote:
>
> Stephen, I do all types of flying, except aerobatics. (I get ill watching someone in a rocking chair).  Boring holes and cross country flights of up to 700 miles each way so far in this plane.  Flight handling is quite similar to the RANS S-14 I had prior to this plane except, with the nose wheel pant, I have 2 rudders! Very small rudder inputs are the norm and if I put in too much, I can swing this puppy sideways in an instant. It's a single place but with a longer 2 place or the SS I believe they are less sensitive to the rudder. That' s the only major difference.  The flaps are very effective in slowing things down and with the electric motor driving things, you can drop them to full deflection in about 2 seconds. Gotta watch that. Cross-wind landings are fairly ho-hum affairs and I have done them in 30mph across the runway with no sweaty palms. The Tornado is a fantastic airplane and this is the last plane I plan to own/build. It does
> everything that I want well!
>  
> Tim Hansen

I havn't flown the other models yet, but in my SS I can say the rudder doesn't seem overly sensitive to me. The titan is pretty short coupled of course, so it responds a lot faster to rudder/elevator inputs than the typical tractor design. But that's just a matter of getting used to it.

The amount of elevator, OTOH, can be surprising. The titan uses a full flying airfoiled stab so there's a huge amount of rudder authority. The short coupling of the tail also makes pitch happen faster. But in general I wouldn't call it hair-trigger or anything where the airplane can easily go into a PIO or etc.

The only other differences I can think of for a tractor driver:

- high engine pusher, so behavior with power changes is reversed. I.e. adding power pushes nose down rather than up, reducing it causes nose to come up not down.
- no dihedral in wing so very little roll coupling with rudder (the typical spam can can be turned easily with just rudder). Makes xwind landings and slips a lot easier
- climb rate higher by a bunch ;)

Overall I find my SS a very docile flying plane. You wouldn't think so by just looking at it as it looks pretty agressive leading you think it'd be twitchy with lots of bad habits, etc....
Stalls are docile as well....

LS
> --- On Mon, 8/3/09, newtoultralights <stephen_kuczynski@ ...> wrote:
>
>
> From: newtoultralights <stephen_kuczynski@ ...>
> Subject: [Titanaircraft] Re: If you started new
> To: Titanaircraft@ yahoogroups. com
> Date: Monday, August 3, 2009, 10:59 PM
>
>
>  
>
>
>
> Thanks for the reply and the correction, I realized the term I used was incorrect soon after I posted. What type of flying do you do and are there any characteristics of the airplane that surprised you?
>
> --- In Titanaircraft@ yahoogroups. com, Tim Hansen <togoforth@ ..> wrote:
> >
> > Hello, Stephen.  First of all, the Titan Tornado is NOT an ultralight. Many people refer to them that way because they are small and look like one. I flew ultralights for about 13 years before moving on to experimentals, first a Starlight then a RANS S-14 and now my Tornado.  You can fly alongside most spam cans all day long in a Tornado and in many cases outrun them while burning a lot less fuel (depending on your powerplant).  If you want to fly slow, drop the flaps about 15-20 degrees or stay with ultralights. Since you are familiar with flying 4 place aircraft, you will need to get used to the "coziness" of a Tornado cockpit.  You basically wear the airplane. Visibility is fantastic and you will most certainly experience the new feeling of flight you are looking for. Good luck!
> >  
> > Tim Hansen
> > N4070F
> >
> > --- On Sun, 8/2/09, newtoultralights <stephen_kuczynski@ ...> wrote:
> >
> >
> > From: newtoultralights <stephen_kuczynski@ ...>
> > Subject: [Titanaircraft] If you started new
> > To: Titanaircraft@ yahoogroups. com
> > Date: Sunday, August 2, 2009, 9:35 PM
> >
> >
> >  
> >
> >
> >
> > Hello, I am new to ultralights but experienced in 4 seat certified aircraft. I am looking to do gain new flying experiences and I have been intrigued by the Tital line, particlularly the tornado S. I like to fly local, slow with great visibility. For those experienced ultralighters, what advice would you have if you were starting over. I am thinking about doing the quickbuild route with a rotax 912S and a BRS. What advice would you have?
> >
> >
> >
> >
> >
> >
> >
> >
> >
> >
> >
> >
> >
> >
> >
> >
> >
> >
> >
> > [Non-text portions of this message have been removed]
> >
>
>
>
>
>
>
>
>
>
>
>
>
>
>
>
>
>
>
>
> [Non-text portions of this message have been removed]
>

[Non-text portions of this message have been removed]

------------------------------------

Yahoo! Groups Links

<*> To visit your group on the web, go to:
http://groups.yahoo.com/group/Titanaircraft/

<*> Your email settings:
Individual Email | Traditional

<*> To change settings online go to:
http://groups.yahoo.com/group/Titanaircraft/join
(Yahoo! ID required)

<*> To change settings via email:
mailto:Titanaircraft-digest@yahoogroups.com
mailto:Titanaircraft-fullfeatured@yahoogroups.com

<*> To unsubscribe from this group, send an email to:
Titanaircraft-unsubscribe@yahoogroups.com

<*> Your use of Yahoo! Groups is subject to:
http://docs.yahoo.com/info/terms/

No comments:

Post a Comment