Tuesday, August 18, 2009

[Titanaircraft] Re: Titan II within 200 air miles of Havana, IL (9I0)

--- In Titanaircraft@yahoogroups.com, "Randy Sill" <randy@...> wrote:
>
> Ron, I'm just within your range at 195 miles and can arrange a demo in both
> the S and SS at Wabash Indiana (IWH). You can really get the feel for the
> difference between the two when you can fly them back to back. The S model
> is a Porche, the SS would be a BMW 325, and the Challenger a Dune Buggy ;-)
> The II and S are more capable for light aerobatics, but I've found the SS
> too slow in roll rate with the big wing for rolls. I'm building an SS with
> a S wing to see how it improves the roll rate. For our 800' AGL strips, the
> shorter wing I believe will be no issue. The weight difference between the
> two is negligible. Several others in the group have gone this route as well
> and have reported good results.
>
> Randy
>

I can second that the roll rate of the 26' wing is I guess you'd call it stately. It's still quite a bit better than the big iron like the typical spam cans especially with the aileron spades fitted.
I've seen JD roll it and it's definitely a nice but barrel roll....

I should also mention that even at our altitude the S with the shorter wing still outclimbs most of the other planes on the field (except the aerobatics, the RV's and etc) having watched him take off from the ground several times.

I love my 26 footer, but I think you'd be just fine with the short wing at lower altitudes, S or SS..... Cap'n Bob's SS has the short wing as does Div's and they seem to do just fine.

LS
> -----Original Message-----
> From: Titanaircraft@yahoogroups.com [mailto:Titanaircraft@yahoogroups.com]
> On Behalf Of Ron Dace
> Sent: Friday, August 14, 2009 8:34 PM
> To: Titanaircraft@yahoogroups.com
> Subject: [Titanaircraft] Titan II within 200 air miles of Havana, IL (9I0)
>
> Is there anyone with a Titan II (any model) within 200 air miles of Havana
> Regional Airport (9I0) that would be willing to let me look over their
> aircraft?
>
> I am considering whether the Titan would be a good fit, literally speaking
> for my size 6'4" 230lbs, and for my intentions, local flying with an
> occasional 200 - 400 mi cross country.
>
> I had a Challenger I clip wing w/ the third door option for a while. It was
> a tight fit but reasonably comfortable once I got in. I fly a Cessna 150
> now; same situation. Flying dual, I have to let the passenger get out first
> so I can swing around and get out.
>
> Both planes are fun but in a different way. The Challenger was like a
> sports car and the Cessna like a buick in the way they handle. I thought
> the Titan might be somewhere in the middle.
>
> I was at Oshkosh and saw the orange SS at the booth and a yellow II or IIS
> flying. That got my interest going again.
>
> Anyhoo, it would be good to hear from someone close by.
>
> Ron
>
>
>
>
>
>
>
> ------------------------------------
>
> Yahoo! Groups Links
>


------------------------------------

Yahoo! Groups Links

<*> To visit your group on the web, go to:
http://groups.yahoo.com/group/Titanaircraft/

<*> Your email settings:
Individual Email | Traditional

<*> To change settings online go to:
http://groups.yahoo.com/group/Titanaircraft/join
(Yahoo! ID required)

<*> To change settings via email:
mailto:Titanaircraft-digest@yahoogroups.com
mailto:Titanaircraft-fullfeatured@yahoogroups.com

<*> To unsubscribe from this group, send an email to:
Titanaircraft-unsubscribe@yahoogroups.com

<*> Your use of Yahoo! Groups is subject to:
http://docs.yahoo.com/info/terms/

No comments:

Post a Comment