Tuesday, August 11, 2009

[Titanaircraft] Re: Titan Purchase

--- In Titanaircraft@yahoogroups.com, "Randy Sill" <randy@...> wrote:
>
> I think Hugh's point was trying to do a full stall landing at the height
> "feel" of the 172, which will break legs. You can certainly do full stall
> landings, but all the transition training I've done with GA pilots that fly
> tall planes, they always want to start the flare at 20+ feet high. You can
> start to round out your glide at 20 feet if you have enough air speed, but
> the Tornado will often just sink even faster if you're too close to that
> magic angle of attack.
>
> Randy
>

Agree with everyone.

In my plane, I've found full stall landings hard to do even with full flaps. I can get very close but no cigar, really, unless the tailwheel touches down. With anything less than full flaps forget it.

As for flare height, ultralight time really helps a bunch with the titan. It lands like a cross between a UL and the big iron. You flare pretty low to the ground and with flaps, the energy dissipates pretty quick very similar to a UL.

I just recently had my BFR which we did in the mighty 172. I couldn't believe how high we were flaring - it looked like we were still a mile up and then...squeak....

I sometimes use the technique that JD originally taught me but I couldn't figure it out when he was training me, adding flaps in the flare. This is another extremely cool way to land as dropping the flaps is like dumping out a speed brake or parachute. But it requires close attention to the pitch due to the change in effective AOA as you slow down.

But the biggest difference from the big iron is the flare height. One really needs transition training to get used to this...

LS
>
> -----Original Message-----
> From: Titanaircraft@yahoogroups.com [mailto:Titanaircraft@yahoogroups.com]
> On Behalf Of Jim Covington
> Sent: Monday, August 10, 2009 1:18 PM
> To: Titanaircraft@yahoogroups.com
> Subject: Re: [Titanaircraft] Titan Purchase
>
> I disagree on the full stall. If you want to land short (as the Tornado
> is fully capable of doing) you can do the (almost) full stall approach.
> You won't break a leg as long as you're close to the ground - much
> closer than a 172.
>
> I say (almost) because the rear tail wheel normally hits before you can
> get the main wing to stall. As soon as it hits, your angle of attack
> lessens, you loose lift, and you come down. If you're high enough to not
> hit the tailwheel in a full stall landing, you're probably too high. It
> will feel very different than a short-field/full-stall landing in a 172.
> If you don't tap the tailwheel when you're trying to land short, you
> could have landed shorter.
>
> I have broken a gear leg, but I think I was probably about 6 ft up at
> the time of the stall. It's worth noting that I did land as short as I
> wanted (of course, after a full stall!) and was able to taxi to parking
> over a rough field on the broken leg. In an emergency, I could have
> taken off on the broken leg as well. That's why I like the fiberglass
> legs over the titanium.
>
> I do agree with the 2 hours (min) of transition time, however.
>
>
>
> Hugh Sontag wrote:
> >
> >
> >
> >
> > Also, the "flare" is a bit different. If you bring a Tornado in the
> > way a 172 is often landed, ending in a very nose-high attitude at
> > "full stall", you'll almost certainly break the gear in the ensuing
> > stall.
> >
> > The way to land a Tornado is to carry enough airspeed in the approach
> > to "round out" above stall speed (at around 50 mph), flying parallel
> > to the ground, and then keep the wheels a few inches above the runway
> > until the plane slows and settles to the ground.
> >
>
> > I recommend at least an hour or two of time in a two-place Tornado
> > before flying one solo.
> >
> > Hugh Sontag
> >
> > >I too am interested in buying a Titan. What is the difference in
> > >the handling characteristics of a Titan 1 and the 2? And, if I get
> > >some training in a 2 place would it be difficult to transition to
> > >the single? Thanks for any info you can give me. I have about 120
> > >hrs. in 172's, Cherokees, and a few hrs. in a Socata TB9.
> > >Don Price
> > >
> > >[Non-text portions of this message have been removed]
> > >
> > >
> > >
> >
> >
>
>
> [Non-text portions of this message have been removed]
>
>
>
> ------------------------------------
>
> Yahoo! Groups Links
>


------------------------------------

Yahoo! Groups Links

<*> To visit your group on the web, go to:
http://groups.yahoo.com/group/Titanaircraft/

<*> Your email settings:
Individual Email | Traditional

<*> To change settings online go to:
http://groups.yahoo.com/group/Titanaircraft/join
(Yahoo! ID required)

<*> To change settings via email:
mailto:Titanaircraft-digest@yahoogroups.com
mailto:Titanaircraft-fullfeatured@yahoogroups.com

<*> To unsubscribe from this group, send an email to:
Titanaircraft-unsubscribe@yahoogroups.com

<*> Your use of Yahoo! Groups is subject to:
http://docs.yahoo.com/info/terms/

No comments:

Post a Comment