Wednesday, December 2, 2009

[Titanaircraft] Re: Any Tornado S or SS for sale in US or Canada

--- In Titanaircraft@yahoogroups.com, "Terry Savage" <chaosrider@...> wrote:
>
> Dunno about that.
>
>
>
> I started my serious flying in the mid-80s. If you assume average inflation
> of 5% for 20 years, that $100K aircraft today would have been around $25K
> then.
>

Heh. I hear this argument for the relative expense of 100K + planes all the time but it just doesn't wash.

The main problem is that it also assumes income and income distributions have kept up with inflation plus the other price hikes that have come on top of that. They haven't by any stretch of the imagination.

For instance, since I entered the workforce full-time, my present job (which I started 3 years ago) is the first place I'd ever gotten a cost-of-living raise. Before that I had never even heard of such a thing. Most of my friends from high school hadn't either. When you get into the real upper crust, such things exist but for most of the rest of us, wages haven't kept up.

100K today is, in terms of our buying power, still a LOT more than 25K was in the mid-80's....

>
>
> I can't afford $100K now, but I could have afforded $25K then.

There you go.....

LS


------------------------------------

Yahoo! Groups Links

<*> To visit your group on the web, go to:
http://groups.yahoo.com/group/Titanaircraft/

<*> Your email settings:
Individual Email | Traditional

<*> To change settings online go to:
http://groups.yahoo.com/group/Titanaircraft/join
(Yahoo! ID required)

<*> To change settings via email:
Titanaircraft-digest@yahoogroups.com
Titanaircraft-fullfeatured@yahoogroups.com

<*> To unsubscribe from this group, send an email to:
Titanaircraft-unsubscribe@yahoogroups.com

<*> Your use of Yahoo! Groups is subject to:
http://docs.yahoo.com/info/terms/

No comments:

Post a Comment