Friday, December 25, 2009

Re: [Titanaircraft] Re: Jabiru 3300 on a Titan 1

Aaah Tim,

When you decide to get rid of your Jab 2200, could I have 1st dibs on it?? It would make my single seat Thundergull go like the wind. I could use the extra 35 pony's as you go for the extra 40 more.

Kess


----- Original Message -----
From: Tim Hansen
To: Titanaircraft@yahoogroups.com
Sent: Thursday, December 24, 2009 2:25 PM
Subject: Re: [Titanaircraft] Re: Jabiru 3300 on a Titan 1



As soon as I have a reasonable excuse (read: money) to get rid of my Jab 2200 on my Titan I, I'm gonna put a 3300 on it. I love my current setup and it's the most fun I've ever had with my clothes on, but, an extra 40 horses and a different prop... ahhh, what a rush!

Tim Hansen

--- On Thu, 12/24/09, Kess Blaswich <kessb@wavecable.com> wrote:

From: Kess Blaswich <kessb@wavecable.com>
Subject: Re: [Titanaircraft] Re: Jabiru 3300 on a Titan 1
To: Titanaircraft@yahoogroups.com
Date: Thursday, December 24, 2009, 4:46 PM

Oooooh, I like this conversation. Faster is always funner!!

----- Original Message -----
From: ls78705
To: Titanaircraft@ yahoogroups. com
Sent: Thursday, December 24, 2009 12:32 PM
Subject: [Titanaircraft] Re: Jabiru 3300 on a Titan 1

ah, now we're talking. That would be an interesting compliment to JD's SS concept, where the plane is like his Chevelle SS. The Shelby Titan or Titan SB or ?

Maybe also an aerobatically stressed version, where you have as an option fitting a snomo 2-stroke conversion like the rotax 670 for max power/weight (and 50 hour TBO's ;))

But still, it would seem to me a single with 150 Vne kit and 2200 is still going to be pretty spectacular (and weigh less too)....

LS
--- In Titanaircraft@ yahoogroups. com, guy truex <airbosss@.. .> wrote:
>
> I have been thinking about this combination for years. The engine mount part of the frame is the same. The reference to the Ford Mustang is interesting. My thoughts have been to do a "Shelby" version of the Tornado single place. There is another airfoil I would like to use and of course that would require a new wing. A new tailboom and tail surfaces would be required. The Titanium main gear suggested by Kimberly would be a good choice as well.
>
> I am home in Tennessee for the holidays. I was just looking at my D-cell fixture and my spar table and thinking about how to get them shipped to Arizona. I have a small shop there now. Although I am still working full time at another job, I'm sure I could find time to build the parts over some weekends.
>
> A single place kit could be purchased from Titan and modified, or a used single place could be inspected and rebuilt.
>
> Kimberly, has anyone ever turbocharged a 3300? Naw, we better not go there.
>
> -- Guy
>
>
>
>
> ____________ _________ _________ __
> From: Kimberly Panos <kimberly@.. .>
> To: Titanaircraft@ yahoogroups. com
> Sent: Thu, December 24, 2009 8:41:35 AM
> Subject: Re: [Titanaircraft] Re: Jabiru 3300 on a Titan 1
>
>
> LS,
>
> Nah. You're turning a smaller diameter, lower-mass,direct- drive prop than the 912, so the torque on the mounts is no more than the 912S with a 6-inch larger diameter prop. Also, the six cylinders and direct drive are smoother than the thigh-revving 912-series, because the 912 gear box shortens and sharpens the power pulses returned to the mounts trying to turn the large smooth rotating inertial mass of the prop, particularly at lower RPM. We've been flying our 3300 2S since 2003. It is the right engine for the job for as heavy as we load the plane and the altitudes we fly it, and it is especially well-suited for the 2SS. I've flown many Titans with a variety of power plants, including jumping between the 912's and Jabirus for concurrent flights, and you can feel the difference in vibration.
>
> --Kimberly
>
> ----- Original Message -----
> From: ls78705
> To: Titanaircraft@ yahoogroups. com
> Sent: Thursday, December 24, 2009 6:22 AM
> Subject: [Titanaircraft] Re: Jabiru 3300 on a Titan 1
>
> --- In Titanaircraft@ yahoogroups. com, "Kimberly Panos" <kimberly@ .> wrote:
> >
> > Kess,
> >
> > The diameter of the fiberglass gear legs would be my first concern if not replaced with Titanium. It would also need a 150VNE wing and wing mounts, and you'd want .090 windows so they don't push in or oil-can in flight. While the 3300 on the single place Tornado would be an absolute ball to fly at greater than 2000 FPM climb, it would also push it beyond the 150 VNE if not careful.
> >
> > --Kimberly
> >
>
> Just curious, but wouldn't the 3300, er, approach limits of the strength of the airframe in general on the I? Wouldn't the motor mounts be overstressed with the extra power and thrust etc?
>
> One time a pilot ferrying an S/3300 home came through Santa Fe and I got to look at the combo up close. It reminded me of my old 5.0 mustang, with this big ol 302 shoehorned into that little bitty little car. It almost looked like the motor would twist off the frame soon as he advanced the throttle for takeoff.
>
> Is the cage and overall airframe even able to handle all that power?
>
> If I were rich, I'd have a single along with my SS but seems to me the most motor I'd ever want to put on it would be a 2200....
>
> LS
>
> [Non-text portions of this message have been removed]
>
>
>
>
> [Non-text portions of this message have been removed]
>

------------ --------- --------- --------- --------- --------- -

No virus found in this incoming message.
Checked by AVG - www.avg.com
Version: 8.5.430 / Virus Database: 270.14.119/2585 - Release Date: 12/24/09 08:11:00

[Non-text portions of this message have been removed]

[Non-text portions of this message have been removed]


------------------------------------------------------------------------------

No virus found in this incoming message.
Checked by AVG - www.avg.com
Version: 8.5.430 / Virus Database: 270.14.119/2586 - Release Date: 12/25/09 09:33:00


[Non-text portions of this message have been removed]

------------------------------------

Yahoo! Groups Links

<*> To visit your group on the web, go to:
http://groups.yahoo.com/group/Titanaircraft/

<*> Your email settings:
Individual Email | Traditional

<*> To change settings online go to:
http://groups.yahoo.com/group/Titanaircraft/join
(Yahoo! ID required)

<*> To change settings via email:
Titanaircraft-digest@yahoogroups.com
Titanaircraft-fullfeatured@yahoogroups.com

<*> To unsubscribe from this group, send an email to:
Titanaircraft-unsubscribe@yahoogroups.com

<*> Your use of Yahoo! Groups is subject to:
http://docs.yahoo.com/info/terms/

No comments:

Post a Comment