Saturday, December 26, 2009

Re: [Titanaircraft] Re: Jabiru 3300 on a Titan 1

I'm sure you can get a very good offer on the 2200. I see "wanted" ads
for them all the time.


Tim Hansen wrote:
>
>
> As soon as I have a reasonable excuse (read: money) to get rid of my
> Jab 2200 on my Titan I, I'm gonna put a 3300 on it. I love my current
> setup and it's the most fun I've ever had with my clothes on, but, an
> extra 40 horses and a different prop... ahhh, what a rush!
>
> Tim Hansen
>
> --- On Thu, 12/24/09, Kess Blaswich <kessb@wavecable.com
> <mailto:kessb%40wavecable.com>> wrote:
>
> From: Kess Blaswich <kessb@wavecable.com <mailto:kessb%40wavecable.com>>
> Subject: Re: [Titanaircraft] Re: Jabiru 3300 on a Titan 1
> To: Titanaircraft@yahoogroups.com <mailto:Titanaircraft%40yahoogroups.com>
> Date: Thursday, December 24, 2009, 4:46 PM
>
>
>
> Oooooh, I like this conversation. Faster is always funner!!
>
> ----- Original Message -----
> From: ls78705
> To: Titanaircraft@ yahoogroups. com
> Sent: Thursday, December 24, 2009 12:32 PM
> Subject: [Titanaircraft] Re: Jabiru 3300 on a Titan 1
>
> ah, now we're talking. That would be an interesting compliment to JD's
> SS concept, where the plane is like his Chevelle SS. The Shelby Titan
> or Titan SB or ?
>
> Maybe also an aerobatically stressed version, where you have as an
> option fitting a snomo 2-stroke conversion like the rotax 670 for max
> power/weight (and 50 hour TBO's ;))
>
> But still, it would seem to me a single with 150 Vne kit and 2200 is
> still going to be pretty spectacular (and weigh less too)....
>
> LS
> --- In Titanaircraft@ yahoogroups. com, guy truex <airbosss@.. .> wrote:
> >
> > I have been thinking about this combination for years. The engine
> mount part of the frame is the same. The reference to the Ford Mustang
> is interesting. My thoughts have been to do a "Shelby" version of the
> Tornado single place. There is another airfoil I would like to use and
> of course that would require a new wing. A new tailboom and tail
> surfaces would be required. The Titanium main gear suggested by
> Kimberly would be a good choice as well.
> >
> > I am home in Tennessee for the holidays. I was just looking at my
> D-cell fixture and my spar table and thinking about how to get them
> shipped to Arizona. I have a small shop there now. Although I am still
> working full time at another job, I'm sure I could find time to build
> the parts over some weekends.
> >
> > A single place kit could be purchased from Titan and modified, or a
> used single place could be inspected and rebuilt.
> >
> > Kimberly, has anyone ever turbocharged a 3300? Naw, we better not go
> there.
> >
> > -- Guy
> >
> >
> >
> >
> > ____________ _________ _________ __
> > From: Kimberly Panos <kimberly@.. .>
> > To: Titanaircraft@ yahoogroups. com
> > Sent: Thu, December 24, 2009 8:41:35 AM
> > Subject: Re: [Titanaircraft] Re: Jabiru 3300 on a Titan 1
> >
> >
> > LS,
> >
> > Nah. You're turning a smaller diameter, lower-mass,direct- drive
> prop than the 912, so the torque on the mounts is no more than the
> 912S with a 6-inch larger diameter prop. Also, the six cylinders and
> direct drive are smoother than the thigh-revving 912-series, because
> the 912 gear box shortens and sharpens the power pulses returned to
> the mounts trying to turn the large smooth rotating inertial mass of
> the prop, particularly at lower RPM. We've been flying our 3300 2S
> since 2003. It is the right engine for the job for as heavy as we load
> the plane and the altitudes we fly it, and it is especially
> well-suited for the 2SS. I've flown many Titans with a variety of
> power plants, including jumping between the 912's and Jabirus for
> concurrent flights, and you can feel the difference in vibration.
> >
> > --Kimberly
> >
> > ----- Original Message -----
> > From: ls78705
> > To: Titanaircraft@ yahoogroups. com
> > Sent: Thursday, December 24, 2009 6:22 AM
> > Subject: [Titanaircraft] Re: Jabiru 3300 on a Titan 1
> >
> > --- In Titanaircraft@ yahoogroups. com, "Kimberly Panos" <kimberly@
> .> wrote:
> > >
> > > Kess,
> > >
> > > The diameter of the fiberglass gear legs would be my first concern
> if not replaced with Titanium. It would also need a 150VNE wing and
> wing mounts, and you'd want .090 windows so they don't push in or
> oil-can in flight. While the 3300 on the single place Tornado would be
> an absolute ball to fly at greater than 2000 FPM climb, it would also
> push it beyond the 150 VNE if not careful.
> > >
> > > --Kimberly
> > >
> >
> > Just curious, but wouldn't the 3300, er, approach limits of the
> strength of the airframe in general on the I? Wouldn't the motor
> mounts be overstressed with the extra power and thrust etc?
> >
> > One time a pilot ferrying an S/3300 home came through Santa Fe and I
> got to look at the combo up close. It reminded me of my old 5.0
> mustang, with this big ol 302 shoehorned into that little bitty little
> car. It almost looked like the motor would twist off the frame soon as
> he advanced the throttle for takeoff.
> >
> > Is the cage and overall airframe even able to handle all that power?
> >
> > If I were rich, I'd have a single along with my SS but seems to me
> the most motor I'd ever want to put on it would be a 2200....
> >
> > LS
> >
> > [Non-text portions of this message have been removed]
> >
> >
> >
> >
> > [Non-text portions of this message have been removed]
> >
>
> ------------ --------- --------- --------- --------- --------- -
>
> No virus found in this incoming message.
> Checked by AVG - www.avg.com
> Version: 8.5.430 / Virus Database: 270.14.119/2585 - Release Date:
> 12/24/09 08:11:00
>
> [Non-text portions of this message have been removed]
>
> [Non-text portions of this message have been removed]
>
>


[Non-text portions of this message have been removed]

------------------------------------

Yahoo! Groups Links

<*> To visit your group on the web, go to:
http://groups.yahoo.com/group/Titanaircraft/

<*> Your email settings:
Individual Email | Traditional

<*> To change settings online go to:
http://groups.yahoo.com/group/Titanaircraft/join
(Yahoo! ID required)

<*> To change settings via email:
Titanaircraft-digest@yahoogroups.com
Titanaircraft-fullfeatured@yahoogroups.com

<*> To unsubscribe from this group, send an email to:
Titanaircraft-unsubscribe@yahoogroups.com

<*> Your use of Yahoo! Groups is subject to:
http://docs.yahoo.com/info/terms/

No comments:

Post a Comment