Tuesday, December 1, 2009

Re: [Titanaircraft] Re: Any Tornado S or SS for sale in US or Canada

Dale,

I have to agree that the VW is not an easy engine to marry to a Titan or Thundergull airframe. The most obvious thing to me is the cooling. Used in a tractor installation is the best application, as the front of the cowling has much more air pressure and can be routed much better. I lean toward the fan cooled engines for pushers rather than trying to find enough air pressure to cool a free-air engine, and radiators always seem to me to be a pain and have drag without some fancy cowling

Kess


----- Original Message -----
From: daleandee
To: Titanaircraft@yahoogroups.com
Sent: Monday, November 30, 2009 9:15 PM
Subject: [Titanaircraft] Re: Any Tornado S or SS for sale in US or Canada



I came extremely close to purchasing a Titan after I sold my
Challenger. I did like the view but putting pencil to paper brought me
to a very different conclusion. The Zodiac 601 was also on my list but
that one was rejected also for reasons I won't get into.

Like Roger I own a Sonex and I'm glad I went that way. There is much
more to an airplane than the view. The view, while it is different and
somewhat restrictive, isn't as horrible as is being reported. I
believe they are both fine airplanes and any perspective owner of
either owes it to themselves to do the research to find which aircraft
meets their mission profile. That only makes sense.

Many have asked about using VW power on a Titan but the thought of
using VW power is usually trashed pretty hard on this list. Many of
the better VW conversions work, and work well, on an airframe that can
take advantage of them. The Titan airframe isn't one of them.

Roger: The AeroCarb is prety easy to get used to. I set mine much as
you have set yours and then lean for all ground operations.

Dale
N28YD

--- In Titanaircraft@yahoogroups.com, "Roger" <rtracy@...> wrote:

> I've got about 10 hrs on the Sonex I bought .. and to tell
> the truth I kind of wish I'd just built one of these in the
> first place. I flew the Titan S I built for 3 years and it was
> a lot of fun to fly .. quick .. responsive .. etc. The Sonex
> flies very nice though and I really like it. The forward visibility
> isn't all that great .. but I've had enough planes with a high
> panel .. it's not really an issue.


------------------------------------------------------------------------------

No virus found in this incoming message.
Checked by AVG - www.avg.com
Version: 8.5.426 / Virus Database: 270.14.87/2536 - Release Date: 11/30/09 07:31:00


[Non-text portions of this message have been removed]

------------------------------------

Yahoo! Groups Links

<*> To visit your group on the web, go to:
http://groups.yahoo.com/group/Titanaircraft/

<*> Your email settings:
Individual Email | Traditional

<*> To change settings online go to:
http://groups.yahoo.com/group/Titanaircraft/join
(Yahoo! ID required)

<*> To change settings via email:
Titanaircraft-digest@yahoogroups.com
Titanaircraft-fullfeatured@yahoogroups.com

<*> To unsubscribe from this group, send an email to:
Titanaircraft-unsubscribe@yahoogroups.com

<*> Your use of Yahoo! Groups is subject to:
http://docs.yahoo.com/info/terms/

No comments:

Post a Comment