Friday, September 25, 2009

Re: [Titanaircraft] Re: Fin on front wheel pant

Someone who has a PC-12 bought a Titan? I guess that's the answer to the
question: "If you can have any plane you want, what would it be?"

I have a Titan, and the PC-12 is next on my list. Right after "Win the
lottery." ;)

Kimberly Panos wrote:
>
>
> Hugh,
>
> We've had both, and the spring steering is by far superior to any
> direct steering, even without a wheelpant since there are no nosewheel
> to rudder alignment issues that change with a crosswind. There is also
> no hunting that is usually experienced with any sensitive direct
> steering. The semi-free castoring (spring steering) allows the
> airplane to track like a missle down the runway without ever having
> the yaw jerk when the nose lifts off, particuarly with any crosswind.
> It is also not super critical on yaw in flight like the direct
> steering. I just delivered a 2S last Saturday, which took 3 hours, 10
> minutes. This 2S had a wheelpant with the fin cut off, and direct
> steering. It the most yaw-critial Tornado I had flown to date, and no
> where near as pleasant to fly as our 2S with spring steering and the
> fin. It was so yaw sensitive, it was frustraiting the new owner that I
> had put up front to fly it after arriving there. I have a feeling that
> may be changed before next summer.
>
> One cool suprise I had was to fly right seat in his Pilatus PC-12 for
> the return trip. I flew it for a while until we punched the auto-pilot
> so the pilot and I could do a little gabbing during the flight, which
> was barely 1 hour and 5 minutes, with a head wind. I know we've got a
> commercial jet pilot or two in the group, but for someone within my
> means, it's an experience I'll not soon forget.
>
> --Kimberly
>
> ----- Original Message -----
> From: Hugh Sontag
> To: Titanaircraft@yahoogroups.com
> <mailto:Titanaircraft%40yahoogroups.com>
> Sent: Thursday, September 24, 2009 10:32 AM
> Subject: [Titanaircraft] Re: Fin on front wheel pant
>
> Well, I learned something!
>
> The person I bought my plane from told me that he tried both direct
> steering and spring steering, and that the direct steering was much
> better.
>
> And my nose wheel pant has a fin on it.
>
> I've always noticed that the airplane is sensitive in yaw, but I've
> learned to keep the ball centered anyway.
>
> It seems that with the direct steering, I shouldn't have a fin!
>
> Anyone have comments on direct vs spring steering?
>
> Hugh
>
> >Hugh,
> >
> >The fin is only to keep the pant facing forward into the air stream
> >with spring steering. Titan disconnected the direct steering in lieu
> >of spring steering when running a nose wheel pant. With spring
> >steering and without the fin, the pant can turn off center due to
> >the air stream because it doesn't have a heavy positive dynamic
> >balance. If you have the fin on the wheel pant with direct steering,
> >you end up losing yaw stability, which causes the airplane ot 'hunt'
> >when trying to hold a heading, and is also hyper-sensitive around
> >neutral.
> >
> >--Kimberly
> >
> >----- Original Message -----
> >From: Hugh Sontag
> >To:
> <mailto:Titanaircraft%40yahoogroups.com>Titanaircraft@yahoogroups.com
> <mailto:Titanaircraft%40yahoogroups.com>
> >Sent: Tuesday, September 15, 2009 2:34 AM
> >Subject: Re: [Titanaircraft] Re: Started Flying with the Jab 2200
> >
> >Kimberly,
> >
> >Could you expand a little bit on your comment?
> >
> >If you use direct steering, a wheel pant on the nosewheel shouldn't
> >have the fin on it?
> >
> >Thanks,
> >Hugh
> >
> >>
> >>
> >>Rob,
> >>
> >>I hope you are using the spring steering for your nosewheel if you
> >>have the fin on it.
> >>
> >>--Kimberly
> >>
> >>----- Original Message -----
> >>From: jrceacampo
> >>To:
> >><mailto:Titanaircraft%40yahoogroups.com><mailto:Titanaircraft%40yahoogroups.com>Titanaircraft@yahoogroups.com
> <mailto:Titanaircraft%40yahoogroups.com>
> >>Sent: Monday, September 14, 2009 2:25 PM
> >>Subject: [Titanaircraft] Re: Started Flying with the Jab 2200
> >>
> >>I do have the streamlined gear installed, (the Deluxe wheel pants
> >>kit from Titan). Although I did not have the pants on as I started
> >>testing the plane out of a grass(turf) runway. I'll put them on once
> >>I polish them a bit more.
> >>
> >>The front wheel pant has a fin in the back and I'm not sure this
> >>could have an effect on my flying. I thought about it for later on...
> >>
> >>Thanks, Rob.
> >>
> >>--- In
> >><mailto:Titanaircraft%40yahoogroups.com><mailto:Titanaircraft%40yahoogroups.com>Titanaircraft@yahoogroups.com
> <mailto:Titanaircraft%40yahoogroups.com>,
> >>Kimberly Panos <kimberly@...> wrote:
> >>>
> >>> Rob,
> >>>
> >>> Wheelpants are worth different amounts the faster you go. Also, it
> >>>has been reported that an un-streamlined gear leg can cause as much
> >>>or more drag than an un-faired tire. If you are running both the
> >>>streamlined gear leg material and wheelpants, you might see 3-5 MPH
> >>>starting from 100 MPH without them.
> >>>
> >>> --Kimberly
> >>>
> >>>
> >>>
> >>>
> >>>
> >>>
> >>> ________________________________
> >>> From: jrceacampo <jrceacampo@...>
> >>> To:
> >>><mailto:Titanaircraft%40yahoogroups.com><mailto:Titanaircraft%40yahoogroups.com>Titanaircraft@yahoogroups.com
> <mailto:Titanaircraft%40yahoogroups.com>
> >>> Sent: Monday, September 14, 2009 1:19:11 PM
> >>> Subject: [Titanaircraft] Re: Started Flying with the Jab 2200
> >>>
> >>>
> >>> Since I don't have a VSI is a little more difficult right now that
> >>>I'm getting use to it. I'll have concentrate on the altimeter next
> >>>time; I figured that it might be a possibility due to the view from
> >>>the cockpit. I'm cruising at around 2850.
> >>>
> >>> What increase should I expect with the pants on? is it also
> >>>noticeable adding the nose wheel pant?
> >>>
> >>> Thanks both for your input!
> >>> Rob.
> >>>
> >>> --- In Titanaircraft@ yahoogroups. com, Jim Covington <jim@> wrote:
> >>> >
> >>> > If you're not climbing, then you're not pitched too high.
> >>> >
> >>> > "boots" or pants on the wheels will give you a significant speed
> boost.
> >>> >
> >>> > What's your cruise RPM? That's one way to tell if you have the
> pitch set
> >>> > right.
> >>> >
> >>> > jrceacampo wrote:
> >>> > >
> >>> > >
> >>> > > Hi All;
> >>> > >
> >>> > > I just started flying my Tornado 2 with a Jab 2200 and I had some
> >>> > > questions based on the first numbers I'm getting:
> >>> > >
> >>> > > 1. So far RPM is around 3000 on take off maybe to 3100max.
> Cruise: I'm
> > >> > > getting around 100-105 Mph which I believe is a bit less than
> >>> > > expected. I'm still adjusting to the attitude of the plane so
> I might
> >>> > > be flying a bit pitch up. I don't have the boots on the tires
> >>>yet as well.
> >>> > >
> >>> > > 2. All engine readings seems good, but the EGTs (2 rear
> cylinders) are
> >>> > > constantly at around 740 degrees C. I saw in the manual
> 680-720 should
> >>> > > be normal, is this because I'm breaking in the engine?
> >>> > >
> >>> > > 3. I have a Warp drive prop 64" set at 11 degrees, should I
> adjust it
> >>> > > to get more cruise? Climb rate seems quite good.
> >>> > >
> >>> > > Thanks for your advice,
> >>> > > Rob.
> >>> > >
> >>> > >
> >>> >
> >>> >
> >>> > [Non-text portions of this message have been removed]
> >>> >
> >>>
> >>>
> >>>
> >>>
> >>> [Non-text portions of this message have been removed]
> >>>
> >>
> >>[Non-text portions of this message have been removed]
> >>
> >>
> >>
> >
> >[Non-text portions of this message have been removed]
> >
> >
> >
>
> [Non-text portions of this message have been removed]
>
>


[Non-text portions of this message have been removed]

------------------------------------

Yahoo! Groups Links

<*> To visit your group on the web, go to:
http://groups.yahoo.com/group/Titanaircraft/

<*> Your email settings:
Individual Email | Traditional

<*> To change settings online go to:
http://groups.yahoo.com/group/Titanaircraft/join
(Yahoo! ID required)

<*> To change settings via email:
mailto:Titanaircraft-digest@yahoogroups.com
mailto:Titanaircraft-fullfeatured@yahoogroups.com

<*> To unsubscribe from this group, send an email to:
Titanaircraft-unsubscribe@yahoogroups.com

<*> Your use of Yahoo! Groups is subject to:
http://docs.yahoo.com/info/terms/

No comments:

Post a Comment