Saturday, January 2, 2010

[Titanaircraft] Re: Wheel Pants

--- In Titanaircraft@yahoogroups.com, Bill Day <cwtf2009@...> wrote:
>
>
> To Kimberly/LS/Brian,
>  
> I appreciate your help. I do feel with all your experience combined that I am getting the proper information. I just need to learn that most people are proud of the machine they have not so much the one I have. But I would like to ask how much more speed you get out of having gear leg fairings and wheel pants. Is it worth buying and installing? If so, how much are they installed Kimberly? lol
>  
> Thanks,
>  
> Bill
>
Yeah some of the claims you have to take with a grain of salt ;).

I should mention again my plane doesn't even go 105 anymore except in a descent... It has a 70" powerfin on it now which, when I pitch for climb, drops my cruise to around 85-90 and gas consumption to about 3gph. Climbs better than it ever did which is what I need at my alt. but I still true out at about 100mph at my typical cruising altitude (right under 10,000MSL) so I still get places at a pretty good clip.

The local S at the field gets I believe about 115, but his secret is full throttle and just set rpm with the pitch (he has a 912uls and the adjustable IVO also). Sort of the way you do it with a CS prop and a manifold pressure guage, but where you just ignore the guage ;). And just leave the go-lever all the way to the stop ;). But he is pretty fast that way.

As for the wheel pants, I still have mine but ruined the inner pants on the trip home from JD's place. So I took them off and run without them (makes the wheels a little easier to preflight too so). I don't recall any difference in speed at all by removing the pants. I kept my fairings on the legs tho, as I hear those do make a pretty big difference.

I believe Kimberly once said she could hit or nearly hit Vne in her and Mark's S with the 3300. I'd definitely believe that too for sure....

LS
> --- On Sat, 1/2/10, ls78705 <lstavenhagen@...> wrote:
>
>
> From: ls78705 <lstavenhagen@...>
> Subject: [Titanaircraft] Re: Wheel Pants
> To: Titanaircraft@yahoogroups.com
> Date: Saturday, January 2, 2010, 4:47 PM
>
>
>  
>
>
>
>
>
> --- In Titanaircraft@ yahoogroups. com, "titjab" <brianasagi@ ...> wrote:
> >
> > Not to be a smart ass, but your ASI is probably correct and other's are off, or put the pride fudge factor in. I have had plenty of arguments on this site about over stated airspeeds. I have had a Titan I (23' wing) with a Jab 2200 and also have a Titan S with the 2200 (23-1/2' wing), both airplanes cruised between 105 and 110 mph where others with the same setup were posting numbers of 115 to 125? go figure, I don't even think I could hit 125 at wot.
> >
>
> Don't remember exactly, but when I was ferrying 972SS from JD's place, the cruise was around 105 indicated (that was with the IVO prop on it). A couple times I went to 110 and that felt like I was pushing it a bit hard (seems my SS has a little more drag than the other ones probably due to the wider/taller cabin).
>
> So, 110 mph without burning a whole lot of gas is pretty good if you ask me......
>
> LS
>
> > --- In Titanaircraft@ yahoogroups. com, Bill Day <cwtf2009@> wrote:
> > >
> > > Kimberly,
> > >  
> > > Hope you are doing well. I have a question that maybe you can help me with.... I'm lucky if I get an avg of 110 out of a 912s 100hp Titan Tornado II. I do have an IVO In-flight adjust prop... Any suggestions of why I'm not getting the speed that others tell me I should be getting. They tell me I should be cruising at least 120.
> > >  
> > > Hope you had a great Christmas.
> > >  
> > > Thank you,
> > >  
> > > Bill
> > >
> > > --- On Thu, 12/17/09, Kimberly Panos <kimberly@> wrote:
> > >
> > >
> > > From: Kimberly Panos <kimberly@>
> > > Subject: Re: [Titanaircraft] Wheel Pants
> > > To: Titanaircraft@ yahoogroups. com
> > > Date: Thursday, December 17, 2009, 11:46 PM
> > >
> > >
> > >  
> > >
> > >
> > >
> > > Yes -- many sets. They're not too bad. I've got some video of our first installation that I can edit to either e-mail or make it downloadable for you if you are interested. It doesn't have every tiny detailed step, but it gives you a good idea of what you're in for. Just let me know.
> > >
> > > --Kimberly
> > >
> > > ----- Original Message -----
> > > From: cwtf2009
> > > To: Titanaircraft@ yahoogroups. com
> > > Sent: Thursday, December 17, 2009 3:55 PM
> > > Subject: [Titanaircraft] Wheel Pants
> > >
> > > Has anyone installed their own wheel pants? if so, how long, how hard?
> > > Any feedback is appreciated.
> > >
> > > [Non-text portions of this message have been removed]
> > >
> > >
> > >
> > >
> > >
> > >
> > >
> > >
> > >
> > >
> > >
> > > [Non-text portions of this message have been removed]
> > >
> >
>
>
>
>
>
>
>
>
>
>
>
> [Non-text portions of this message have been removed]
>


------------------------------------

Yahoo! Groups Links

<*> To visit your group on the web, go to:
http://groups.yahoo.com/group/Titanaircraft/

<*> Your email settings:
Individual Email | Traditional

<*> To change settings online go to:
http://groups.yahoo.com/group/Titanaircraft/join
(Yahoo! ID required)

<*> To change settings via email:
Titanaircraft-digest@yahoogroups.com
Titanaircraft-fullfeatured@yahoogroups.com

<*> To unsubscribe from this group, send an email to:
Titanaircraft-unsubscribe@yahoogroups.com

<*> Your use of Yahoo! Groups is subject to:
http://docs.yahoo.com/info/terms/

No comments:

Post a Comment