Sunday, January 3, 2010

[Titanaircraft] Re: Wheel Pants

--- In Titanaircraft@yahoogroups.com, "Kimberly Panos" <kimberly@...> wrote:
>
> Bill,
>
> I would agree with you. I've seen very few Tornados that even have a static port, let alone calibrated it properly. Every Tornado I've flown without a static port has read about 10 MPH fast at 95 MPH, and has an accuracy diversion that increases with speed.
>
> --Kimberly
>

Oh yeah, this is a very good point. I also don't have a static port (tho I'm thinking about installing one at some point) and I get varying results on the ASI and ALT.

I have found that if I fly with the rear window vent open, the ASI is reasonably close within about 5mph up to about 100mph. Over that it reads slower and slower. I.e. when I had the Warp Drive on the plane, cruise was back up to about 105 and at WOT would get up to a spectacular 115. But the ASI basically stopped at 100mph and wouldn't go any higher.

Darn I wish that WD didn't have that harmonic (I still have it, stored in the box in the hangar)..... Oh, where was I? Anyway......

I basically consider it unreliable over 80mph and only use it to insure I'm well in the white arc for dropping the flaps. Otherwise I use either The Force (during landing), or the GPS + true airspeed and ignore the ASI.

The ALT in the EIS, tho is usually pretty close, tho I like to cross check with the GPS when I'm approaching the SP alt. limit of 10,000' to make sure I don't bust it.

The local S has a static port installed on his plane and it's pretty cool. You can get them really cheap from a/c spruce...

LS

------------------------------------

Yahoo! Groups Links

<*> To visit your group on the web, go to:
http://groups.yahoo.com/group/Titanaircraft/

<*> Your email settings:
Individual Email | Traditional

<*> To change settings online go to:
http://groups.yahoo.com/group/Titanaircraft/join
(Yahoo! ID required)

<*> To change settings via email:
Titanaircraft-digest@yahoogroups.com
Titanaircraft-fullfeatured@yahoogroups.com

<*> To unsubscribe from this group, send an email to:
Titanaircraft-unsubscribe@yahoogroups.com

<*> Your use of Yahoo! Groups is subject to:
http://docs.yahoo.com/info/terms/

No comments:

Post a Comment