Sunday, January 3, 2010

Re: [Titanaircraft] Re: Wheel Pants

Lucien,

One of the Tornados here with no static had the round pop-out vents. You could push the vent open, then rotate it back and forth for almost a 10 MPH change on the ASI, and watch the VSI go crazy, with the altimiter fluctuating as well.

I think you're the only one I've heard of with a harmonics problem with the WD prop. I know that Ken Korenek has flown one on his 912S for years, and has become almost the exclusive prop that is being installed on all the 912S's at a local RANS dealer/builder here.

Around here, the mountains keep you prisoner if you're under 10k and want to go anywhere eastbound.

We use the combo pitot/static that looks similar to the factory Titan setup. We get them from aircraft spruce, then shorten the height. It also requires drilling some small calibration holes in strategic places to calibrate it in the airplane.

--Kimberly


----- Original Message -----
From: ls78705
To: Titanaircraft@yahoogroups.com
Sent: Sunday, January 03, 2010 8:40 AM
Subject: [Titanaircraft] Re: Wheel Pants



--- In Titanaircraft@yahoogroups.com, "Kimberly Panos" <kimberly@...> wrote:
>
> Bill,
>
> I would agree with you. I've seen very few Tornados that even have a static port, let alone calibrated it properly. Every Tornado I've flown without a static port has read about 10 MPH fast at 95 MPH, and has an accuracy diversion that increases with speed.
>
> --Kimberly
>

Oh yeah, this is a very good point. I also don't have a static port (tho I'm thinking about installing one at some point) and I get varying results on the ASI and ALT.

I have found that if I fly with the rear window vent open, the ASI is reasonably close within about 5mph up to about 100mph. Over that it reads slower and slower. I.e. when I had the Warp Drive on the plane, cruise was back up to about 105 and at WOT would get up to a spectacular 115. But the ASI basically stopped at 100mph and wouldn't go any higher.

Darn I wish that WD didn't have that harmonic (I still have it, stored in the box in the hangar)..... Oh, where was I? Anyway......

I basically consider it unreliable over 80mph and only use it to insure I'm well in the white arc for dropping the flaps. Otherwise I use either The Force (during landing), or the GPS + true airspeed and ignore the ASI.

The ALT in the EIS, tho is usually pretty close, tho I like to cross check with the GPS when I'm approaching the SP alt. limit of 10,000' to make sure I don't bust it.

The local S has a static port installed on his plane and it's pretty cool. You can get them really cheap from a/c spruce...

LS

[Non-text portions of this message have been removed]

------------------------------------

Yahoo! Groups Links

<*> To visit your group on the web, go to:
http://groups.yahoo.com/group/Titanaircraft/

<*> Your email settings:
Individual Email | Traditional

<*> To change settings online go to:
http://groups.yahoo.com/group/Titanaircraft/join
(Yahoo! ID required)

<*> To change settings via email:
Titanaircraft-digest@yahoogroups.com
Titanaircraft-fullfeatured@yahoogroups.com

<*> To unsubscribe from this group, send an email to:
Titanaircraft-unsubscribe@yahoogroups.com

<*> Your use of Yahoo! Groups is subject to:
http://docs.yahoo.com/info/terms/

No comments:

Post a Comment