Friday, October 30, 2009

[Titanaircraft] Re: Titan characteristics

--- In Titanaircraft@yahoogroups.com, "v2twin" <v2twin@...> wrote:
>
> Thanks for the replies so far, very helpful. I've been flying a Piper Arrow 200 for the last few years, before that a number of Cherokees although I have owned three Ercoupes and three Tri-Pacers (all glide like a brick), soled a Cessna 182 and 310D on my 16th birthday, so I don't think the responsiveness of the Titan over the Challenger would be an issue. I fly off a 2500 ft grass strip in North Ga at about 1500 ft elevation. I think I am narrowing in on the Titan II, but not the stretch or SS model. I see a number of these equipped with the 503. Is that enough motor to carry two pax off a field like this?
>

The titan flies enough like both an ultralight and a GA aircraft that time in either one will help and time in both will help a whole lot. The biggest thing to get used to coming from GA is the lower inertia aspects of how the plane flies. I.e. things happen faster than you're used to and at lower speeds. I.e. the Arrow (I got my complex endorsement in a Turbo Arrow) flies like the Queen Mary compared to even the big titan....

I think you'd find the 503 wouldn't be enough to fly two-up in a Titan II. You would probably eventually get off the ground but it wouldn't be very pretty and the throttle wouldn't ever get much below full.

If you really need to be able to take pax, it'd be best to plan on at least an S model and a Jab or 912 series for the engine. The HKS is another option on the engine, but it's cost is in spittin' distance of the Jab 2200 which has more power and is (I think) easier to install.

Even in a Titan I flying solo, I'd be a little reticent with only 2500' using the 503 unless there are no obstructions at the ends for a long ways. If you went with the Jab it probably wouldn't be a problem, especially if you had the 26' wing.

LS

------------------------------------

Yahoo! Groups Links

<*> To visit your group on the web, go to:
http://groups.yahoo.com/group/Titanaircraft/

<*> Your email settings:
Individual Email | Traditional

<*> To change settings online go to:
http://groups.yahoo.com/group/Titanaircraft/join
(Yahoo! ID required)

<*> To change settings via email:
mailto:Titanaircraft-digest@yahoogroups.com
mailto:Titanaircraft-fullfeatured@yahoogroups.com

<*> To unsubscribe from this group, send an email to:
Titanaircraft-unsubscribe@yahoogroups.com

<*> Your use of Yahoo! Groups is subject to:
http://docs.yahoo.com/info/terms/

No comments:

Post a Comment