Monday, November 23, 2009

Re: [Titanaircraft] Vertical Stab. cracks

Kess,

I remember you well. I always had fun at Arlington. I left Titan in June 2006. I still pay attention to the group as time allows and I stay in contact with the guys at Titan.

The Gull is probably a little lighter than the Titan. Mark always liked the lightweight, efficient engines and planes. At Titan we concentrated our efforts on two seat experimentals with either the Jabiru engines or Rotax 912 engines with a higher gross weight than the Gull. My favorite was one of the smaller ones, the single seater with the 503 Rotax. The 503 is a reliable and affordable engine. If a single seater is built light, the 503 will work very well.

The aerobatic Tornado single seat plane had a different spar, extruded control surface hinges and vertical stabilizer spar upgrades. The two seater had extruded hinges and the upgraded vertical stab. I don't remember what else was different. It's been a while. I'd have to look at a packing list.

Airframes are always easy for me. Engines are always a compromise. I guess I am like everyone, I want the unobtainable perfect engine. I don't know what to suggest. I guess the 503 is one of my favorites, although it's a fuel and oil hog. The Jabiru is simple and a four stroke. I like it. It may be a little heavy for the Gull- I don't know.

It's good to see you on the group.

-- Guy


________________________________
From: Kess Blaswich <kessb@wavecable.com>
To: Titanaircraft@yahoogroups.com
Sent: Mon, November 23, 2009 12:20:19 AM
Subject: Re: [Titanaircraft] Vertical Stab. cracks


Hello Guy,
I met you years ago at the Arlington Washington fly-in. Good to see that you are still connected with Titan. What can you tell me about the aerobatic upgrades to the airframe, and can I apply that to a Gull 2000? Also, what is your favorite engine?
Kess

----- Original Message -----
From: guy truex
To: Titanaircraft@ yahoogroups. com
Sent: Sunday, November 22, 2009 4:36 PM
Subject: Re: [Titanaircraft] Vertical Stab. cracks

I talked to John Wiliams today about the cracks. I forwarded the photos to him. A service letter should be issued within a day or two. In the meantime, we all know what needs to be inspected.

The fix will probably include a stop drill at either end of the crack and installation of gussets that are used on the aerobatic vertical tail.

-- Guy

[Non-text portions of this message have been removed]

------------------------------------

Yahoo! Groups Links

<*> To visit your group on the web, go to:
http://groups.yahoo.com/group/Titanaircraft/

<*> Your email settings:
Individual Email | Traditional

<*> To change settings online go to:
http://groups.yahoo.com/group/Titanaircraft/join
(Yahoo! ID required)

<*> To change settings via email:
Titanaircraft-digest@yahoogroups.com
Titanaircraft-fullfeatured@yahoogroups.com

<*> To unsubscribe from this group, send an email to:
Titanaircraft-unsubscribe@yahoogroups.com

<*> Your use of Yahoo! Groups is subject to:
http://docs.yahoo.com/info/terms/

No comments:

Post a Comment