Monday, November 30, 2009

RE: [Titanaircraft] Re: Any Tornado S or SS for sale in US or Canada

I would never consider buying a low wing plane…unless the front of the wing
was well behind the cockpit.

I flew plenty of Piper's in my GA days, but generally only when the Cessna
dealer didn't have the size plane I wanted available.

For some reason, the low wing on the Seneca and the Aztec never bothered me.
Perhaps their wings are farther back, relative to the cockpit.

TCS

Question with Boldness -- Thomas Jefferson

Hold to the Truth -- George Washington

Speak Without Fear -- Martin Luther King

Terry C Savage

Senior Information Technology Manager

Science Fiction Author

The End of Winter

Circle of Fire

<http://tinyurl.com/end-of-winter-savage>
http://tinyurl.com/end-of-winter-savage

http://tcsendofwinter.blogspot.com/

<http://tcsendofwinter.blogspot.com/>

====================================

_____

From: Titanaircraft@yahoogroups.com [mailto:Titanaircraft@yahoogroups.com]
On Behalf Of ls78705
Sent: Monday, November 30, 2009 7:43 AM
To: Titanaircraft@yahoogroups.com
Subject: [Titanaircraft] Re: Any Tornado S or SS for sale in US or Canada

--- In Titanaircraft@ <mailto:Titanaircraft%40yahoogroups.com>
yahoogroups.com, Tim Hansen <togoforth@...> wrote:
>
> I have a friend at my airport who finished his tri-gear Sonex last summer.
After getting his airworthiness cert. it took him six months to get his
Aerovee to run properly so he could fly it. Countless tear-downs,
tweaking, electronics fiddling, carburator fiddling, fuel line fiddling, jet
fiddling... you get the idea. He's now getting some fairly consistent
performance and he has come to hate the airplane... primarily because of
the lousy view. Perhaps I jaded his thinking because I opined as to how I'd
never own another low-wing airplane because I don't like looking at the top
of the wing all day. It's a beautiful piece of work but I wouldn't trade my
tornado for one.
> Â
> Tim Hansen

JMO, but poor views is why I lost interest in general aviation shortly after
I got my ticket. So I know how I react to planes where you have too much
airplane in the view and not enough outside and avoid those designs.

It's amazing how even something simple like the view can be really critical
in your mission profile and can make or break even a otherwise really good
design and flier like the Sonex.

The only low wings tractors I'd consider are the RV 3,4 or 8. The tandem
seating helps with the view a little bit and they're great for travel. But
they're still borderline on the view. And since I won't hold a medical again
in this lifetime those are out for me.

Really, after years of researching it all the top choices in 3-axis LSA if
you like to look outside are the Tornado and the Kolb. If you go
weight-shift, the trikes are good for this too especially the 912 equipped
planes.

If your main objective is travel, tho, which is about 2 or 3 from the very
bottom for me, the choices widen a bunch including the sonex.

BTW, we had a sonex with jab 3300 based here for a while. It easily
performed on the level of an RV, particularly in climb. Amazing
performance....

LS

[Non-text portions of this message have been removed]

------------------------------------

Yahoo! Groups Links

<*> To visit your group on the web, go to:
http://groups.yahoo.com/group/Titanaircraft/

<*> Your email settings:
Individual Email | Traditional

<*> To change settings online go to:
http://groups.yahoo.com/group/Titanaircraft/join
(Yahoo! ID required)

<*> To change settings via email:
Titanaircraft-digest@yahoogroups.com
Titanaircraft-fullfeatured@yahoogroups.com

<*> To unsubscribe from this group, send an email to:
Titanaircraft-unsubscribe@yahoogroups.com

<*> Your use of Yahoo! Groups is subject to:
http://docs.yahoo.com/info/terms/

No comments:

Post a Comment