Monday, November 30, 2009

Re: [Titanaircraft] Re: Any Tornado S or SS for sale in US or Canada

I have a friend at my airport who finished his tri-gear Sonex last summer. After getting his airworthiness cert. it took him six months to get his Aerovee to run properly so he could fly it.  Countless tear-downs, tweaking, electronics fiddling, carburator fiddling, fuel line fiddling, jet fiddling... you get the idea.  He's now getting some fairly consistent performance and he has come to hate the airplane... primarily because of the lousy view. Perhaps I jaded his thinking because I opined as to how I'd never own another low-wing airplane because I don't like looking at the top of the wing all day. It's a beautiful piece of work but I wouldn't trade my tornado for one.
 
Tim Hansen

--- On Mon, 11/30/09, ls78705 <lstavenhagen@hotmail.com> wrote:


From: ls78705 <lstavenhagen@hotmail.com>
Subject: [Titanaircraft] Re: Any Tornado S or SS for sale in US or Canada
To: Titanaircraft@yahoogroups.com
Date: Monday, November 30, 2009, 8:47 AM


 

--- In Titanaircraft@ yahoogroups. com, David King <pastordave45@ ...> wrote:
>
> Ls,
>
> I agree, and believe me you don't have to sell me on the titan SS because I am a bigger guy and the performance i have heard is pretty awesome.  Honestly I don't think the so called competitors are selling to hot as well.  I saw a sonex that was a sharp plane but it had no room in it, for me to fly it would make it a single seater just not big enough.
>
> I have  never flown in an SS but someday I will.
> Take care and happy flying

As an aside, I was considering the sonex for a while, mostly because the VW (Aerovee) was available as an option. Cheaper than even the Jab by quite a bit and the plane overall is a good deal financially.

The most serious problem with the sonex is the view, which is actually really bad. Otherwise, it seemed like a fine plane, but the risk of getting bored with it due to the view was too high, so I rejected it right away.

I've also looked at the RV12, the Rans S19, and sort of non-seriously looked at some of the import SLSA's. They all have the same problem of significantly impeded views. The high-wing models are a little better, but are nowhere near the tornado.

The Tornado and the Kolb have the best views of all the LSA's on the market that I've found so far and generally are comparable in terms of cost. Of course the LSA trikes have better views but they're weight-shift which can be a problem if your mission profile involves a 3-axis.

Of the two (Kolb and Tornado), the Tornado has quicker handling and better cruise speed. So, to me the Tornado is the best compromise.

Anyway, I did push the pencil across the paper on the sonex during all this too and the tornado still won by a mile or two.

LS

[Non-text portions of this message have been removed]

------------------------------------

Yahoo! Groups Links

<*> To visit your group on the web, go to:
http://groups.yahoo.com/group/Titanaircraft/

<*> Your email settings:
Individual Email | Traditional

<*> To change settings online go to:
http://groups.yahoo.com/group/Titanaircraft/join
(Yahoo! ID required)

<*> To change settings via email:
Titanaircraft-digest@yahoogroups.com
Titanaircraft-fullfeatured@yahoogroups.com

<*> To unsubscribe from this group, send an email to:
Titanaircraft-unsubscribe@yahoogroups.com

<*> Your use of Yahoo! Groups is subject to:
http://docs.yahoo.com/info/terms/

No comments:

Post a Comment